Today, I shall talk about the A2Z of Operating System. So, what is an operating system? An OS (operating system) is a system software that acts as an interface between the user and the hardware. It is the core software of any computer system. It performs various tasks like managing hardware and software, controlling input and output devices, networking and managing the file system.
Let’s have a look at some of the functions of the Operating System:
- Booting: It is the process of starting the computer system.
- Resource Management: An operating can perform memory management, disk management and process management.
- Memory Management – Different programs and data execute in memory at any instant. An Operating System manages these programs and data without mixing them up.
- Disk Management – It manages the stored files and folders in a proper way.
- Process Management – The CPU (Central Processing Unit) or the processor can execute one task at a time. If there are multiple tasks, the operating system decides which task should get the CPU.
- Security: The operating system protects the data from unauthorized access.
A2Z of Operating System: Types of OS
Let’s have a look at some of the commonly used OS:
- Multi-Programming Operating System: In multi-programming OS, more than one program run at the same time on a single processor.
- Batch Processing Operating System: The users of Batch Processing OS do not interact with the computer directly. In this type of system, similar tasks are grouped together and executed as a group.
- Time Sharing Operating System: In Time Sharing OS, a small amount of time is allocated for all the processes so that all the processes can run seamlessly.
- Real-Time Operating System: As the name suggests the system is subjected to real-time i.e, it must quickly respond to an event within a predetermined time.
So, that’s all for today. Have any questions?? Feel free to ask them in the comments section.